Facial brown spot explanation and treatments
What causes brown spots on our faces?
As we grow older, we inevitably end up with brown or dark spots on our faces leaving our skin with imperfections. While the majority of these blemishes occur on areas of the skin exposed to the sun, other factors can potentially create dark or brown spots on our face.
There are three primary causes of these facial brown spots:
- Sun damage – UV rays from the sun can lead to a condition known as lentigines. Roughly 90 percent of people aged 60 or older have these spots on their faces, but many younger individuals may also have them scattered across their skin3. This creates raised brown spots that resemble freckles.
- Hormonal fluctuations – When a woman’s hormones are in flux, like during pregnancy or menopause, darker splotches can develop on their cheeks – a condition called melasma.
- Skin trauma – Psoriasis, acne, burns and certain harsh skin care treatments can cause dark spots on our faces, known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
How to get rid of brown spots on your face
While there might be several different causes for brown spots to appear on our faces, there’s a simple and effective solution: ThreeForMe™ laser treatment.
This process first uses an Intense Pulsed Light to smooth out discoloration in our skin by addressing these brown or dark spots on our faces. In addition, the IPL targets other unwanted facial blemishes, such as broken blood vessels, spider veins and rosacea.
After the IPL, ThreeForMe™ uses a “microbeam” laser to address facial wrinkles, fine lines and scars by stimulating production of new collagen and elastin in our skin.
By targeting discoloration & facial veins and promoting new collagen and elastin production, ThreeForMe™ can leave your skin completely revitalized.
Click images to enlarge
Results are not guaranteed and may vary from person to person.
ThreeForMe laser treatments can be safely used on most skin types and for common aging and sun-related skin conditions including wrinkles, sun spots and facial vessels. During your consultation, your physician will determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure based on a variety of personal factors.
A typical course of treatment involves 1-3 procedures at one-month intervals. However, everyone’s skin conditions are different so your physician will customize the treatment for optimal results on your skin. They will discuss your specific treatment plan during your consultation.
During ThreeForMe treatments most people feel only minimal discomfort. During the treatment you may feel some mild cooling as the laser is guided over the treatment area along with a slight sensation similar to the snapping of a rubber band. After the treatment, you may experience some minor redness and swelling similar to a mild sunburn for a couple days.
Treatments are quick and last about 30 minutes.
Typically, you can resume regular daily activities the same day as your treatment although due to some redness and swelling you may experience a day or two of “social downtime”.
ThreeForMe laser treatments are clinically proven to be safe and effective.
1. Experts, A. t. (2006). Why does skin wrinkle with age? How can you slow or prevent this process? Scientific American, 100.
2. Flament, F., Bazin, R., Laquieze, S., Rubert, V., Simonpietri, E., & Piot, B. (2013). Effect of the sun on visible clinical signs of aging. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology, 221-232.
3. “Dark Spots on Face Pollution Related?” Disabled World Towards Tomorrow. 2016. https://www.disabled-world.com/health/dermatology/skin/lentigines.php